We are the international cooperation NGO of the Society of Jesus for the Basque Country and Navarre
We work for the construction of a global society that condemns the injustices caused by inequality in the world, builds a culture which promotes the common good and transforms the structures that generate poverty on both a local and global level. To achieve this, we unite a network of people and groups from across the world.
1Our collaboration focuses on the following themes:
- Guaranteeing the universal right to a quality education
- Defending a dignified life for migrants and refugees
- Promoting socioenvironmental justice
- Strengthening participation and global citizenship
- Promoting gender equity
2The last two causes are transversal to all the others.
3Why we do it?
- Our identity is inspired in by the actions of Jesus of Nazareth and his Gospel, grounded in human rights and rooted in the Jesuit mission that promotes faith and justice. And so we aspire to attaining a brave, committed and coherent response, centred around the dignification and reconciliation of people and nature.
To rise to the challenges that the context presents us with and continue to make significant contributions to the work of building citizenship and social transformation. In the coming years, we are committed to working towards an Alboan that is:
- TRANSFORMATIONAL, because it offers viable and specific alternatives that promote new gender relations, a culture of hospitality, income creation activities and responsible and sustainable consumer habits.
- THAT HIGHLIGHTS AND DENOUNCES the links between human rights violations, forced displacements, environmental degradation and our lifestyles, offering comprehensive responses from the local and global dimension.
- ONLINE, as an active member of the platforms in which it participates, offering its experience as a catalysing force for emerging processes and contributing its capabilities as part of broader networks.
- INNOVATIVE, both in the educational methodologies it offers to build a global citizenship that promotes hospitality and equity, and in the implementation of multi-player initiatives that get new social and economic players involved in promoting the development of excluded communities.
- RENOWNED for its transparency and the quality of its work in the processes of the causes it promotes.
- SUSTAINABLE for the mission, with a motivated and committed team that implements methodologies based on accompaniment and with diversified funding backed by a renewed and active social base.
To make this Mission a reality, we cultivate, in particular, the following approaches:
- Excluded and vulnerable people on the fringes of society take centre focus in our actions and we are close to them in both affective and effective terms. They give meaning and encouragement to what we do and their causes constitute a central criteria in our decision-making. Staying close to those who are excluded strengthens us and confirms us in the mission.
- Our actions will be characterised by mutual accompaniment, both with the people on our team and with the partner organisations we work with. We see this accompaniment as a shared path of continuously listening, engaging in dialogue and supporting, in which both parties are enriched and become implicated in what we are and what we are doing.
- We channel spirituality and the dimensions of meaning that inspire us, since we are aware that these convictions are what gives rise to and motivates us to collaborate in building a culture of solidarity and justice. We open ourspaces up to people of diverse spiritualities and cultures. From the tradition of the Company of Jesus, we practice common discernment in decision-making, following the “greater necessity”, “more fruits”, and “more universal” criteria.
- We actively work to keep hope alive , both in prophetic denunciation and in the search for creative and innovative alternatives. We want to live with joy, celebrating and being grateful for all the good received at a personal and institutional level. We are committed to promoting transformational communication which transcends the instrumental and aspires to configure new realities and open up paths forward.
- We strive for the utmost quality and professionalism in our work through critical assessment, training, continuous learning, reflection and in-depth analysis. We develop a culture of transparency that, beyond the legal reporting obligations, entails communicating policies, strategy, activities, results and assessments arising from the entity’s activities.
- In order to carry out this mission, we see ourselves as a Community of Solidarity that strives to attain an internal consistency between what it does and what it is, cultivates spirituality, solidarity and trust with a simple lifestyle and in harmony with its surroundings. Diverse and welcoming community, inviting participation and volunteering in the building of societies grounded in democracy and solidarity. Committed to the people and communitiesliving on the borders of exclusion.
Los territorios de País Vasco y Navarra cuentan con una larga tradición misionera y de cooperación internacional. Centenares de Jesuitas procedentes de estas comunidades autónomas han dedicado sus vidas al servicio de personas de otras tierras, otras culturas y otras religiones.
Para continuar con esta labor comenzó su andadura en el año 1994 la organización ALBOAN. En el año 1996 se crea la Fundación ALBOAN promovida y respaldada por la Compañía de Jesús.
Las raíces que alimentan la tradición y el buen hacer en el que se inserta ALBOAN son en gran medida la de los distintos Secretariados de Misiones: