Courtesy of Gotzon García Goti. Professor
At ALBOAN, we understand co-education as a pedagogical strategy for educating in equality and inclusion among sexual orientations and gender identities, which recognises and values people’s diversity without it being a reason for practices of inequality, inequity or discrimination. These are inclusive educational practices (in formal and informa educational settings) which are geared towards the learning of all persons in all their dimensions.
Co-education aims to do away with all discriminatory mechanisms present in schools, both relating to its formal structure and its ideology and educational practice. The ultimate aim of a co-educational school and also of co-educational youth activity organisations is to generate citizens capable of taking responsibility for their reality, both in the productive realm and in social and family settings. People capable of choosing their life path autonomouslyand taking care of themselves, of their fellow humans and their natural environment.
In order to address co-education in schools and activity groups, at ALBOAN, we have created a series of resources that can be of use. Take a look and if you think they may be useful for you, contact the technical co-education team at educación@alboan.org:
- Rethinking school from a co-educational standpoint is about drawing up a co-educational self-assessment at your centre. It is a first step to analyse the situation and, from there, create a co-education plan and continue working on it.
- Key elements for analysing co-education in schools: practical toolkitguide. This publication complements the previous one, showing a series of tools to undertake the analysis of the different areas of the school from a co-educational perspective.
- Co-educating from a biocentric viewpoint. An activities' proposal prepared by Cantera and ALBOAN to present activities to implement with young people, blending co-education and biocentric education.
- Proposed didactic units to address with students:
- Guide for preschool and primary education
- Guide for secondary education and high school diploma
- 4 posters to accompany the four themes illustrating the separate didactic units and providing a backdrop for the centre or classroom, or assisting with activities.
- Proposed materials for working with families and co-educating at home, available on loan:
If you would like to know more and stay updated on these proposals, we invite you to visit the website Edukalboan, a community of educators contributing to “social transformation” and building the “global citizenship” through formal education, social education and creating awareness.